2019 FSMB Annual Meeting Summary & Highlights
Below are highlights from the 2019 Annual Meeting held in Fort Worth, Texas from April 25-27, 2019.
2019 FSMB Highlights
The FSMB Annual Meeting is an unparalleled educational and networking event for the nation’s medical regulatory community. This three-day event brings together health care leaders to discuss current challenges and innovative ideas that will shape the future of medical regulation.
In an effort to build community and create a dynamic environment, the 2019 event, Exploring New Trends, Issues and Developments in Medical Regulation, marked changes in format and offered a number of new conference features, including an expanded display of informational posters in our “Spotlight Poster Session” which was jointly sponsored with Administrators in Medicine (AIM), and for the first time, we utilized subject-area learning tracks for much of the educational content.
In addition to providing state regulators with the tools and resources needed, this year’s event addressed some of the more challenging and complex issues state boards grapple with through additional perspectives and presentations, inspirational keynotes, and breakout sessions.
2019 Opening Ceremonies and Webcast
For members who were unable to attend this year’s Annual Meeting in-person, the FSMB live streamed the first morning of the meeting via a webcast on April 25. Included in this year’s webcast was the opening ceremony, our Dr. Herbert Platter Lecture keynote speaker, Zubin Austin, PhD, a presentation titled Your Federation at Work, the FSMB Awards Presentation and a panel discussion on sexual boundary violations and what state medical boards need to know in light of this challenging issue.
To view the webcast, please click here.You will need to register for the webcast in order to have access.
Sponsored by the National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners (NBOME), during his keynote address on Thursday, April 25, Dr. Zubin Austin discussed the many meanings and perspectives of competence in health care and how creating systems of professional competence and engagement may enable the health care system to shift toward a model that supports practitioners across a lifetime of professional practice.
On Saturday, April 27, Dr. Joseph Kvedar described the current digital health landscape and discussed how practitioners can utilize these developing innovative strategies to move care from the hospital or doctor’s office into the day-to-day lives of patients.
Other Educational Presentations and Audio Recordings
To download and listen to this year’s sessions, please click on the link(s) provided below. For a copy of this year’s program book and agenda, please click here.
FRIDAY MORNING CONCURRENT SESSIONS
- Getting Your Message Across: Tools and Techniques to Communicate More Effectively With Stakeholders (Session 1; Session 2)
- Global Medical Regulatory Trends (Session 1; Session 2)
- Medical Regulation 2029: Where Will We Be in Ten Years? (Session 1; Session 2)
- Balancing Governance with Operations: What are the Boundaries? (Session 1; Session 2)
- Understanding the Sunset Review Process (Session 1; Session 2)
REGULATORY TOOLS AND RESOURCES TRACK
- USMLE and COMLEX-USA Update (Session 1; Session 2)
- FCVS, PDC and other FSMB Products and Services (Session 1; Session 2)
- Update from the National Practitioner Data Bank (NPDB) (Session 1; Session 2)
PUBLIC AFFAIRS TRACK
- The Trust Barometer: How Can State Medical Boards Bolster Public Confidence? (Session 1; Session 2)
- Federal and State Legislative and Policy Update (Session 1)
SATURDAY MORNING GENERAL SESSIONS
- Opioid Prescribing: What Regulators Need to Know (click here)
- The Late-Career Physician: What Will be the Impact on Patient Care? (click here)
- Enabling Human Interaction in the Era of Digital Medicine (click here)
Business Session – House of Delegates Meeting
The annual business meeting of the FSMB’s governing body, the House of Delegates, was called to order at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, April 27, 2019 at the Omni Fort Worth Hotel by FSMB chair Patricia A. King, MD, PhD. A summary of actions taken by the House of Delegates is available here.
2019 Sponsors and Exhibitors
Many, many thanks to all of our 2019 sponsors and exhibitors! If you interested in meeting sponsorship opportunities, please contact Funmi Okunbolade at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mark Your Calendar!
The 2020 FSMB Annual Meeting will take place April 30 – May 2, 2020 at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in beautiful San Diego, California. Event registration will be available soon so please check back.
Also, you will want to Save the Date for 2021 meeting to be held April 29-May 1, 2021 at the Hilton Minneapolis in Minneapolis, MN.