Important Information for Step 3 Applicants
- STEP 3 SCORE DELAY:
- Most Step 3 scores are reported within 4 weeks of testing. However, because of necessary modifications to the test item pool, there will be a delay in reporting for some examinees who test beginning the week of January 15, 2018. The target date for reporting Step 3 scores for most examinees testing the week of January 15 through late February is Wednesday, March 28, 2018.
IRREGULAR BEHAVIOR - Remember, the stakes on a medical licensing exam are high! Don't do something that might jeopardize your future as a licensed physician. Be sure you understand all the USMLE policies on security and irregular behavior by viewing the seurity video at http://www.usmle.org/security.
- BULLETIN OF INFORMATION:
- Familiarize yourself with the 2017 Bulletin of Information (if you are testing in 2017) or the 2018 Bulletin of Information (if you are testing in 2018) before applying for and taking Step 3. By submitting a Step 3 application, you certify that you have read the Bulletin of Information, are familiar with its contents, and agree to abide by the policies and procedures described therein.
- CANDIDATE WEBSITE:
- Use the Step 3 Candidate website to monitor the status of your Step 3 application, to check the availability of your scheduling permit and score report, and to schedule your exam.
- The Step 3 fee is non-refundable and non-transferable from one eligibility period to another or from one application to another.
- ELIGIBILITY PERIOD:
- We cannot change your chosen eligibility period (i.e., move it to an earlier eligibility period or to a later eligibility period) after your application has been submitted. To obtain a different eligibility period, you will need to:
- For an earlier eligibility period: You must cancel your current application and submit a new application and fee. If your application has already been approved, you will forfeit your entire application fee. If your application has not been approved, you will receive a partial refund of your application fee (we will refund your fee, minus a $100 processing charge).
- For a later eligibility period: You can either submit a request for an eligibility extension, which will begin immediately following the end of your eligibility period, or you can cancel your application and submit a new application and fee. Instructions for submitting an eligibility extension are available here. If you choose to cancel your application, please keep in mind that if your application has already been approved, you will forfeit your entire application fee. If your application has not been approved, you will receive a partial refund of your application fee (we will refund your fee, minus a $100 processing charge).
- You must have your scheduling permit before you contact Prometric to schedule your test dates.
- Scheduling permits are not available more than 6 months prior to the start of your eligibility period.
- Step 3 is not offered during the first two weeks of January or on major holidays.
- The busiest testing times in the Prometric testing network in the U.S. are May through July and November through December.
- Test dates are provided on a first-come, first-served basis, and the USMLE program cannot guarantee the availability of test centers. Therefore, you should contact Prometric to schedule as soon as possible after receiving your scheduling permit.
- You should schedule your test dates early in your eligibility period to provide flexibility in case you need to reschedule.
- You can schedule and take your two testing days on consecutive or non-consecutive days. However, Step 3 FIP must be taken first, followed by Step 3 ACM. Your exam days may be no more than 14 calendar days apart, and you must schedule both test dates with Prometric at the same time and at the same center.
- INCLEMENT WEATHER:
- If your test center is closed due to inclement weather and you are not able to test, you must do the following:
- If you have not opened the exam at all (not yet taken Day 1), send an email to FSMB at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have opened any part of the exam (e.g., started or completed Day 1), send an email to USMLE Test Admin at email@example.com
- The email should include: your full name, USMLE ID, test center location, brief summary of the issue (e.g., center closed due to inclement weather) and the ticket number from Prometric, if provided
- Your center closure will be verified directly with Prometric. This can take several business days. Once the closure is verified, you will be contacted via email with detailed information for rescheduling your test date(s). A free extension of your eligibility period will be provided, if needed, to allow you time to reschedule.
Questions? Please call us at (817) 868-4041 between 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Central time, Monday through Friday, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.