Step 3 Eligibility Extension
If you need to extend your eligibility period, a one-time contiguous* 3-month extension is available. To request an extension, you must submit an eligibility extension request and $70 processing fee. Requests can only be submitted after your original scheduling permit is available and must be received no later than 25 days after the end of your original eligibility period. The $70 processing fee is non-refundable.
- If you have an appointment scheduled:
- You will need to cancel or reschedule with Prometric.
- You will need to pay an appointment change fee to Prometric if your appointment is fewer than 31 days away.
- See the USMLE website for more information.
- If you cancelled your appointment within 30 days of your scheduled testing dates:
- If you did not test as scheduled:
To request an eligibility extension, click here.
*Note: "contiguous" means that the start date of the eligibility extension immediately follows the end date of your eligibility period (e.g., if your eligibility period ends May 31, your extension will begin June 1).