This site requires javascript enabled to function.


Verification of documents related to a physician’s identity, education, training, and more is an important part of the overall licensure process. The majority of medical boards will accept credentials presented directly to them; however, some boards prefer or require the use of the Federation Credentials Verification Service (FCVS) for credentials verification.

Once FCVS staff has verified a physician’s credentials from primary sources, those credentials are stored in a permanent profile created for that physician. These credentials do not need to be re-verified when the physician applies for licensure in additional states. The profile can be updated and sent to licensing boards as needed throughout the physician’s career.

See the list of boards that use the Uniform Application (UA) to determine which boards require FCVS. The only board that does not accept FCVS at this time is the Puerto Rico Board of Medical Licensure and Discipline. Please note that FCVS fees are separate from board fees and the UA one-time service fee.


If you are using FCVS for credentials verification:

  • Do not complete the UA Medical Education Verification, Postgraduate Training Verification, or Fifth Pathway Verification forms. Do not send identity documents, transcripts, certificates, or examination scores to the Board. FCVS will process all of these documents for you.
  • Select “FCVS” from the portal at, then sign in and continue as directed. Complete an initial application with FCVS if you are using FCVS for the first time. Complete a subsequent application with FCVS if you need to update your FCVS profile.
  • During the FCVS application process, designate which medical boards should receive your FCVS profile. Please note that profiles with self designations are not accepted by boards; they are only for each physician’s use.
  • If you need assistance, use the messaging tool within FCVS or call 888-275-3287 with your FCVS ID or Federation ID (FID) number between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Central Time Monday through Friday.


If you are not using FCVS for credentials verification:

  • If your name is not the same on all of your submitted documents, send the board a certified copy of a legal name change document (e.g., marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order).
  • Contact each appropriate examination entity to have a certified transcript of your scores sent directly from the exam entity to the board. If you have taken any component of the NBME in conjunction with another exam (USMLE/FLEX), request scores from the NBME. For exam entity contact information, see the UA FAQ.
  • Complete the UA Medical School Verification, Postgraduate Training Verification, and Fifth Pathway Verification (if applicable) forms as directed on each form. The UA Medical School Verification form should be accompanied by a copy of your diploma if you graduated from that school. A certified transcript must be sent to the board from the appropriate educational institution. If your transcript or any other document submitted is in a language other than English, please provide a certified translation.
  • If you are an International Medical Graduate, request from ECFMG that your ECFMG Certificate, Fifth Pathway Program Certificate, and/or FMGEMS certificate be sent to the medical board, as applicable. See the UA FAQ for contact information.