Credentials Verification Process
To ensure the accuracy and integrity of information received, each application packet is assigned to a specific team of FCVS credentials verification analysts who oversee all application reviews, problem resolution, fee processing, timely receipt of documents and quality assurance.
- Analysts review applications upon receipt. Any discrepancies or omissions are immediately identified, and the applicant is requested to clarify any issues before processing resumes.
- When all application requirements are satisfied, FCVS initiates verification requests through a series of letters and forms, transcript requests, and document validation with the primary source of the information. For additional information, please refer to FAQ #5.
- As a security precaution, FCVS initiates and receives all requests for information directly from the source. (For example, we receive verification of your medical education from the current dean/principal of the medical school you attended.) Once the verification process has begun, the applicant has no access to verified information.
- Outstanding and/or incomplete verification requests are followed up on at regular intervals.
- Methods of contacting medical schools and training institutions for verification include telephone, email, mail, fax, GMEConnect ®, MedEdConnect.
- FCVS accepts electronic transcripts from Credentials Solutions, Inc., Scrip-Safe, Parchment, and the National Student Clearinghouse. If your medical school participates, you may order medical education transcripts and designate Federation Credentials Verification Service as the recipient.
- When all of the information is obtained, the completed portfolio undergoes a rigorous quality assurance audit to ensure it has been received according to requirements, and that no data discrepancies or omissions exist. Any data discrepancy between the application and the information obtained from the primary source is reported to the designated entity or entities.
- After the quality review is complete, FCVS prepares a non-interpretive Physician or Physician Assistant information profile to be sent to entities the applicant designates. The profile contains FCVS-certified photocopies of all original documents received from primary sources. All original documentation is maintained in the applicant's portfolio.
- When Profiles are sent to the receiving entity, FCVS sends a confirmation letter to the applicant verifying the Profile has been forwarded. Profiles are electronically delivered to state medical and osteopathic boards. Profiles are delivered to other entities (i.e. hospitals) via USPS Priority mail. Self designated profiles are delivered electronically to the applicant’s email address with download instructions.
Application Processing Timeframe
- The time for processing applications varies and building a credential portfolio can be a time-consuming process. It involves contacting multiple sources for credentials verification and is dependent on their timely and complete responses. An analyst will continue to contact the source if a response is not received in a timely manner. FCVS strives to provide the most efficient application experience possible; however, we cannot guarantee how long it will take to complete your application. We are committed to communicating with you during the process.
- Please remember that once information is verified and archived – An FCVS portfolio saves physicians, physician assistants, state boards and others time and energy when vital data needs to be provided for credentialing and licensing purposes.
- You will be notified via email with status updates on the progress of your application. Login to check submitted applications and the profile completion date.
- For assistance, contact a Customer Support Representative from 8:00am to 5:00pm CST Monday through Friday at 888-ASK-FCVS or email. We will promptly address your questions or concerns.
Credentials FCVS Verifies
FCVS obtains direct, primary source verification of credentials in the following categories:
Exam transcript scores and the ECFMG status report are NOT included in a Self designation or Hospital/Institution/Entity designation.
- Certification of Identification Form (CID)
- Form must be notarized
- A Copy of Birth certificate or Passport must be provided with form
- Photocopy of any name change documents
- Notarized FCVS affidavit including a photograph of applicant
- Official transcript of medical education
- Verification of Medical Education form, completed by the dean/principal or authorized representative of
the medical school
- Certified medical degree diploma (FCVS will have diploma certified by the issuing institution)
- Verification of Fifth Pathway, if applicable
Postgraduate Training (US and Canada - accredited only). FCVS does not verify fellowship or research training that is not accredited by ACGME, AOA, or RCPSC.
Licensure Examination History
- Federation Licensing Examination (FLEX) Components 1 and 2
- Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC)
- National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME) Parts I, II, III
- National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners (NBOME) Parts 1, 2, 3 / COMLEX USA
- Pre-1985 FLEX (Federation Licensing Examination)
- Special Purpose Examination (SPEX)
- State Board Exams
- United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Steps 1, 2, 3
Note: FCVS orders official copies of your licensure examination transcripts and ECFMG certification report (if applicable) for each profile sent to a State Medical Board. We are unable to accept these reports from the applicant and are unable to refund money for these reports. Data reported on licensure examination transcripts and the ECFMG certification status report is considered proprietary by the issuing organizations; therefore FCVS is specifically prohibited from storing and/or duplicating these documents. In a subsequent application, additional time and surcharges (if applicable) may be required for FCVS to obtain original documents from these institutions.
Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates Certification (if applicable)
Board Action History
- FCVS obtains search results of the FSMB's Board Action Data Bank, a repository of physician disciplinary information, for each applicant. To ensure accuracy, a search is conducted each time credentials are forwarded.
- FCVS obtains a search result of data provided by ABMS when available.