Step 3 Score Delay
If you need to receive Step 3 scores before March 17, 2021, you should take the exam no later than December 31, 2020.
Necessary annual modifications to the test item pool will result in a delay in reporting Step 3 scores for examinees who test in early 2021. The target date for reporting scores for most examinees testing in January and February 2021 is Wednesday, March 17, 2021. After this, the normal score reporting schedule (four weeks after testing) will resume.
No USMLE Step 3 examinations will be administered January 1-14, 2021.
TEMPORARY USMLE® STEP 3 ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS ARE IN EFFECT
In August, the USMLE program announced temporary USMLE Step 3 eligibility requirements during the suspension of the USMLE Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS) examination. The temporary eligibility requirements below, applicable to examinees who have not yet passed the Step 2 CS, are in effect as of Sept. 3, 2020 within the Step 3 registration system.
To be eligible to take Step 3 under these temporary requirements, examinees must:
- have passed Step 1 and Step 2 CK but not passed Step 2 CS
- have a medical degree (MD, DO or the equivalent of an MD degree from a medical school outside the U.S. and Canada that is listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools as meeting ECFMG eligibility requirements)
- be ECFMG certified, if you are an international medical graduate
- have taken any USMLE Step or Step Component on or after Jan. 1, 2015
- have not failed Step 2 CS six or more times
Other Step 3 eligibility requirements include:
- All examinees are limited to six (6) total attempts*; and
- All examinees are limited to three attempts within a 12-month period; and
- 4th and subsequent attempts must be at least 12 months after your first attempt and at least six months after your most recent attempt.
*As announced in February 2020, the attempt limit will change from six (6) attempts to four (4) attempts no earlier than July 1, 2021.
Step 3 Certification of Identity (CID) Form
- The Step 3 CID is not an application for Step 3. You must ALSO submit an online Step 3 application and fees before we can complete your Step 3 registration.
- FSMB accepts electronic/digital signatures and electronic/remote notarization of the Step 3 CID form. Your electronic/digital signature must match your “wet” or actual signature. That is, if electronic/digital, it cannot be a typed signature. If you are not able to electronically sign your CID in a manner that reflects your actual signature, you must also submit a copy of your driver’s license or passport so that we will have a copy of your signature on file, should we need to use it later for identification purposes.
- FSMB accepts completed CID forms via email at email@example.com. Due to COVID-19, we are in the office on a very limited basis, and it will be several days to a week before we are able to obtain and process your CID if it is mailed to our offices. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (817) 868-4041 if you are not able to email a copy of your completed CID to us.
- A CID is required for all Step 3 applications unless a valid one is already on file from a prior Step 3 application. Approved CIDs from prior applications are valid for 5 years from the date of notarization. If you need to reapply for Step 3 during that 5-year period, it is not necessary to submit a new CID.
2021 eligibility periods are now available. Fees for 2021 eligibility periods are the same as fees for 2020 eligibility periods.
REMINDER: The USMLE is not available the first two weeks in January. Additionally, the busiest testing times at Prometric are May through July and November through December. Please keep this in mind when selecting your eligibility period.
|2020 Fees||Effective Dates for 2020 Fees|
Three-month eligibility periods that end in 2020.
The first eligibility period in which the 2020 fee will apply is November 1, 2019 - January 31, 2020.
The last eligibility period in which the 2020 fee will apply is October 1, 2020 - December 31, 2020.
|2021 Fees||Effective Dates for 2021 Fees|
Three-month eligibility periods that end in 2021.
The first eligibility period in which the 2021 fee will apply is November 1, 2020 - January 31, 2021.
The last eligibility period in which the 2021 fee will apply is October 1, 2021 - December 31, 2021.
Remember, the stakes on a medical licensing exam are high! Don't do something that might jeopardize your future as a licensed physician. Be sure you understand all the USMLE policies on security and irregular behavior by viewing the security video here.
For updates on the impact of inclement weather on USMLE Step 3 administrations, please go to the Prometric website. If your test center is closed due to inclement weather and you are not able to test, you must do the following:
- If you have not opened the exam at all (i.e., not yet taken Day 1), send an email to FSMB at email@example.com
- If you have opened any part of the exam (i.e., started or completed Day 1), send an email to USMLE Test Admin at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The email should include: your full name, USMLE ID, test center location, brief summary of the issue (e.g., center closed due to inclement weather) and the ticket number from Prometric, if provided.
The test center closure will be verified directly with Prometric. This takes several business days. Once the closure is verified, you will be contacted via email with detailed information for rescheduling your test date(s). A free extension of your eligibility period will be provided, if needed, to allow you time to reschedule.
APPLYING FOR AND TAKING STEP 3
Detailed information and guidance about the Step 3 application, scheduling and testing is available at: https://www.fsmb.org/step-3/step-3-information/.