Step 3 Score Delay
Scores for most examinees taking Step 3 in early 2023 will be released March 22.
Necessary annual modifications to the test item pool will result in a delay in reporting Step 3 scores for examinees who test in early 2023. The target date for reporting scores for most examinees testing in January and February 2023 is Wednesday, March 22, 2023. After this, the normal score reporting schedule (four weeks after testing) will resume.
No USMLE Step 3 examinations will be administered January 1-14, 2023.
NEW STEP 3 SITE
FSMB has consolidated all Step 3-related processes into one site for an easier, more seamless experience for Step 3 applicants and examinees.
Use the new Step 3 site to do the following:
- Apply for Step 3
- Submit your Step 3 Certification of Identity (CID) form
- Update your name (add a name, change/correct your name)
- Update your contact information (email, phone, address)
- Check the status of your Step 3 application, scheduling permit and score report
- Access, download and print your Step 3 scheduling permit
- Access, download and print your Step 3 score report
Note: This new site replaces the Step 3 Candidate Website. If you still have and attempt to use a link for the (now defunct) Step 3 Candidate Website, it should redirect you to this new site. If you experience any issues, please contact us at (817) 868-4041 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
FOR NEW AND UPCOMING GRADUATES
Do not apply for Step 3 until after the date of graduation on your medical school diploma. If you apply before you have graduated, your application will be cancelled and a portion of your fees will be forfeited.
It can take up to 12 weeks after you graduate for FSMB to verify your graduation with your medical school. Please keep this in mind when selecting your eligibility period, since free extensions of your chosen eligibility period are not provided.
Please feel free to contact us before you apply to find out if your graduation has been verified. We can be reached at (817) 868-4041 (Monday-Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm Central) or email@example.com.
Step 3 Computer-based Case Simulations (CCS) practice materials can now be accessed on both PCs and Macs. The materials are web-based and no longer require downloading software. This web-based format offers a more user-friendly experience, including the ability to navigate more easily through the case simulations. Feedback from pilot users described this option as faster, with smoother screen transitions and easier-to-launch cases. View the new option here
The Step 3 eligibility requirements are:
- Passing scores on Step 1 and Step 2 Clinical Knowledge; AND
- An MD degree or DO degree from an LCME- or COCA-accredited U.S. or Canadian medical school, or the equivalent of the MD degree from a medical school outside the U.S. and Canada that is listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools as meeting ECFMG eligibility requirements, and obtain ECFMG Certification; AND
- Meets all other eligibility criteria as listed in the USMLE Bulletin of Information.
For updates on the impact of inclement weather on USMLE Step 3 administrations, please go to the Prometric website. If your test center is closed due to inclement weather and you are not able to test, you must do the following:
- If you have not opened the exam at all (i.e., not yet taken Day 1), you should first try to reschedule your test date(s) by contacting Prometric; you will be required to wait 24 hours after receiving the closure/cancellation notification from Prometric before doing this so that the Prometric system has time to reset. If you are unable to reschedule after waiting the required 24 hours or have other issues, please email FSMB at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have opened any part of the exam (i.e., started or completed Day 1), send an email to USMLE Test Admin at email@example.com
- The email should include: your full name, USMLE ID, test center location, brief summary of the issue (e.g., center closed due to inclement weather) and the ticket number from Prometric, if provided.
The test center closure will be verified directly with Prometric. This takes several business days. Once the closure is verified, you will be contacted via email with detailed information for rescheduling your test date(s). A free extension of your eligibility period will be provided, if needed, to allow you time to reschedule.
Remember, the stakes on a medical licensing exam are high! Don't do something that might jeopardize your future as a licensed physician. Be sure you understand all the USMLE policies on security and irregular behavior by viewing the security video here.
APPLYING FOR AND TAKING STEP 3
Detailed information and guidance about the Step 3 application, scheduling and testing is available at: https://www.fsmb.org/step-3/step-3-information/.