Step 3 Eligibility Extension
If you need to extend your eligibility period, a one-time contiguous* 3-month extension is available. To request an extension, you must submit an eligibility extension request and $70 processing fee. Requests can only be submitted after your original scheduling permit is available and must be received no later than 25 days after the end of your original eligibility period. The $70 processing fee is non-refundable.
To request an eligibility extension, click here.
Before you can schedule an appointment in your extended eligibility period, you must apply for an eligibility extension, cancel any existing testing dates AND pay any appointment change fees. Your extended eligibility period will not show in Prometric’s system and Prometric will not allow you to schedule a new testing date until this is done.
If you have not already canceled your previous appointment and paid the change fees, you MUST do the following:
- Call Prometric at 1-800-853-6769 to pay any appointment change fees.
- After you have paid the fee, send an email to USMLEReg@nbme.org so your extended eligibility period can be resent to Prometric. Include the following in your email:
- Subject line: “Resend Eligibility”
- Message text: your full name, USMLE ID Number, and exam name (Step 3)
- Apply for an eligibility extension through FSMB (if not already done) - use link at beginning of this section.
- You will receive a response from USMLEReg@NBME.org within two business days. After you receive confirmation from NBME that your extended eligibility period has been resent, you can contact Prometric to schedule a new appointment.
*Note: "contiguous" means that the start date of the eligibility extension immediately follows the end date of your eligibility period (e.g., if your eligibility period ends May 31, your extension will begin June 1).